Sexual offenses against children and juveniles
KakaoTalk is a messaging service that even children and teenagers can enjoy freely. Kakao has established and implemented a policy to protect children or minors who use the Kakao services and is working to develop and apply various technologies to prevent sexual crimes against children and adolescents.
Kakao applies the zero-tolerance principle to child and youth sexual crimes and can permanently restrict a user whose violation is confirmed through reports of other users or institutions from using the entire Kakao services.
Based on reports from other users, KakaoTalk determines whether a user is in breach of the terms and conditions and operation policy and takes measures thereby. We ask you to have a keen interest in protecting children and adolescents from sexual crimes and any such attempts and to help them grow into healthy social members.
Crimes related to child and juvenile sexual exploitation
Kakao does not allow its users to utilize KakaoTalk in sexual crimes related to children/juvenile sexual exploitation.
“Children/juvenile sexual exploitation” refers to the form of film, video, game content, or any such image/animated content via computer or other communication media where children/juveniles or people/expressions recognizable as children/juveniles appear to perform any of the following acts.
- Sexual intercourse
- A similar sexual act using tools or parts of a body such as the mouth or the anus
- Any act of touching/exposing all or part of a body that causes sexual humiliation or disgust among the public
- Other sexual activities
Kakao may permanently restrict relevant users from using the entire KakaoTalk services under the zero-tolerance principle against child/juvenile sexual crimes as soon as it confirms, via the Report function, that any of the following acts regarding “child/juvenile sexual exploitation” occurred.
- Produce child/juvenile sexual exploitation content
- Distribute and provide content of child/juvenile sexual exploitation
- Advertise and introduce the content of child/juvenile sexual exploitation for the purpose of distribution and provision
- Advertise or introduce external sites or apps that provide content of child/juvenile sexual exploitation or induce users to any such things
- Purchase content of children/juvenile exploitation, store or watch any such content even in the full knowledge of its properties, and express one’s clear intention to utilize the relevant content
- Recommend children and juveniles to producers who make the content of children/juvenile sexual exploitation
- Use the content of children/juvenile sexual exploitation to threaten the relevant children and juveniles therein
- Threaten, entice, conspire or encourage people to make the content of children/juvenile sexual exploitation
In addition, if anyone submits a report on the “content of children/juvenile sexual exploitation” via Report the Distribution of Illegally Filmed Content in the service areas where any KakaoTalk user can watch or join, Kakao may take a series of applicable measures such as restrictions on search/impression to prevent any such content from spreading. However, any information deleted from the server shall not be subject to such restrictions herein.
Conversations for child and juvenile sexual exploitation, etc.
Kakao does not allow KakaoTalk to be used in any conversation intending to sexually exploit children and juveniles.
“Conversations that intend to sexually exploit children and juveniles” refer to any of the following acts done to children or juveniles. Kakao may permanently restrict the reported user from using the entire KakaoTalk services pursuant to the zero-tolerance principle as soon as it confirms any such conversation through reports from its users.
- Make a conversation that may cause sexual desire, humiliation, discomfort, or disgust
- Engage in conversations that may cause sexual desire, humiliation, discomfort, or disgust
- Threaten, entice or suggest sexual activities, such as sexual intercourse, similar sexual intercourse, exposure of all or part of a body, masturbation, etc.
- Threaten, entice or suggest sales of photos or videos expressing sexual activities, such as sexual intercourse, similar sexual intercourse, exposure of all or part of a body, masturbation, etc.
- Express an intent to accept or use photos or videos expressing sexual activities, such as sexual intercourse, similar sexual intercourse, exposure of all or part of a body, masturbation, etc., by promising or providing compensation including money or other property gains, or convenience, etc.
Other crimes against children and juveniles
Kakao does not allow its users to utilize KakaoTalk in sexual crimes against children and juveniles.
Kakao may permanently restrict the reported user from using the entire KakaoTalk services as soon as it confirms any of the following acts via s from its users according to the zero-tolerance principle concerning sexual crimes against children and juveniles.
- Rape, abuse, assault, or commit adultery against children and juveniles or conspire any such acts
- Traffick children and juveniles
- Purchase the sex of children and juveniles
- Threaten, lure, or encourage children and juveniles to sell their sex for the purpose of buying it
- Threaten or force children and juveniles to sell their sex through violence, intimidation, debt, hierarchy, power, work, employment, etc.
- Induce, encourage, or force children and juveniles to sell their sex commercially
- Arrange sexual purchase of children and juveniles or provide relevant information
- Conspire other sexual crimes against children and juveniles and share relevant information
Protect children and juveniles in Open Chats
Kakao is well aware that Open Chats should be the service where anyone freely communicates about each other’s matters of interest. However, Kakao also regards protecting children and juveniles from harmful Internet environments as one of the essential values and responsibilities it must safeguard.
Kakao may limit the impression of search results on the Open Chat Home regarding an open chat room or open profile, if confirming any of the following cases have occurred in the relevant open chat room or open profile via user reports, such as the risk of exposing children/juveniles to sexual crimes. If an unsound intent is apparent and suspected, Kakao may also restrict access to or usage of the relevant open chat room or open profile and prohibit the doubtful user who created the open chat room or open profile from using the Open Chat service.
- An open chat room for arranging adult-to-child/juvenile meetings and conversations (audio/video inclusive) (However, group chat rooms with a clear purpose and no illegal nature are allowed, such as hobbies or matters of interest.)
- Open chat rooms for arranging paid relations between adults and children/juveniles
- Open chat rooms for arranging part-time jobs or recruitment for children and juveniles (However, an open chat room shall be allowable when it has no illegality and clearly states recruitment information such as business, occupation, brand, region, etc., while complying with relevant laws and regulations, including the LABOR STANDARDS ACT
- Open chat rooms for proxy purchasing and paying for products and services that children and juveniles are not allowed to buy
- If the unsound intention of an open chat room is apparent or suspected, such as teenage runaway
If a case falls under any of the following examples regarding sexual criminals, please be aware that Kakao may take a series of measures, such as prohibiting access to and use of relevant open chat rooms or open profiles, curtailing search results on Open Chat Home, and exposure of posts, and restricting those who created the relevant open chat room or open profile from using the Open Chat service.
- If the name and photo of a convicted sexual offender is used as a profile
- If a user creates and operates an open chat room defending or supporting a convicted sex offender and encouraging other sexual crimes
- If a user upload posts that defend or support convicted sexual offenders
To protect children or minors under 19 in an open chat, Kakao adopts procedures that temporarily restrict them from using the Open Chat service upon the request from their legal representatives or by consent of their own. For more details, please refer to the Service Restrictions.